Are you a highly organized and detail-oriented individual with a passion for criminal law? Daniel Brown Law LLP, a Toronto-based law firm specializing in criminal trials and appeals is currently seeking a motivated and skilled Legal Assistant to join our team. As a Legal Assistant, you will play a crucial role in supporting our lawyers and ensuring the smooth operation of our legal practice. If you are looking for a dynamic work environment that offers the opportunity for professional growth and development, we encourage you to apply.
Job Title: Legal Assistant
Location: Downtown Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-time
- Client Intake: Assist in the initial client intake process, gather essential information, and maintain accurate client records.
- Scheduling: Manage lawyers’ calendars and schedule client meetings, court appearances, and other appointments efficiently.
- Financial Support: Process client payments, track invoices, and facilitate timely payments for vendors and service providers.
- Court Filings: Prepare, review, and manage court filings, ensuring compliance with all court rules and procedures.
- Office Management: Oversee the inventory and ordering of office supplies, ensuring that the office is well-stocked and organized at all times.
- Equipment Maintenance: Coordinate the maintenance and repair of office equipment to ensure smooth operations.
- File Management: Organize and maintain legal documents, electronic files, and records for trial and appeal matters, ensuring they are readily accessible.
- Trial and Appeal Support: Provide administrative support during trial and appellate proceedings, including preparation of trial binders and exhibits.
- Communication: Maintain professional and effective communication with clients, court personnel, and external parties.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree and/or law clerk or paralegal certification is preferred but not mandatory.
- Experience: Prior experience as a legal assistant or in a related legal support role is advantageous but we will consider candidates of all experience levels. The ideal candidate will have 0-5 years of related experience.
- Organizational Skills: Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously are essential.
- Technological Skills:
- Attention to Detail: Keen eye for detail and accuracy when handling legal documents and correspondence.
- Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact with clients and colleagues effectively.
- Technology Proficiency: Comfortable working with legal software, document management systems, Adobe Acrobat and MS Office Suite. Familiarity with the criminal court system, Legal Aid Online, and/or PCLaw is an asset.
- Confidentiality: Uphold the highest level of confidentiality and integrity when dealing with sensitive information.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt to changing priorities and work well under pressure.
- Team Player: Collaborative and willing to assist colleagues when necessary.
- The expected salary range is $45,000-50,000 and includes a robust health benefits package
- Four weeks of paid vacation
- Opportunities for professional development and training
- Positive and inclusive work environment
- Chance to work and collaborate with experienced lawyers on diverse and challenging cases
How to Apply: If you are interested in this Legal Assistant position, please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and why you believe you are the ideal candidate for the role. Email your application to Rylie Burns at email@example.com. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
We look forward to reviewing your application and welcoming a dedicated Legal Assistant to our team! Application deadline: August 14, 2023 and the expected start date is flexible but may commence as soon as September 1, 2023.
Note: The job responsibilities and qualifications mentioned above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work for this position. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. The successful candidate may be required to perform additional tasks as needed to meet the needs of the legal practice.
About Daniel Brown Law LLP
For nearly two decades, Daniel Brown Law LLP has represented organizations and individuals in criminal litigation at trial and on appeal. Recognized as one of Canada’s best criminal defence boutiques by Canadian Lawyer Magazine, we remain dedicated to superior advice and advocacy through the same innovation and dedication on which our firm was founded. We regularly appear before courts across the province, the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Supreme Court of Canada on complex, serious, and precedent-setting cases.